Maaf, Anda mengaktifkan Adblock pada browser anda!
Atau anda tidak mengaktifkan Javascript![ ? ]

Category Archives: English

Admiring sculpture from Nyoman Nuarta (Nuart)

NUART SCULPTURE PARK

Indonesia has a most famous sculptor artist,The man is I Nyoman Nuarta, born in Tabanan Bali 14th November 1951 ,graduated from Art Faculty ITB (Institute of Technology Bandung), his work has spread over many countries, not only from aesthetics, proportional shape, beauty,  but also with playing of texture and other elements, contain analogical and philosophy meaning.

nyoman-nuarta-kps
The sculptur maestro
He has a huge galery ,at Nuart,  Sentra Duta Raya No. 6L street, Bandung 40151, laying in 3 hectar square land.

Here  a few of many sculptures he has made:
Patung Tangan

Hand shape sculpture, it talk about destiny. It also speak about human relationship.

Visitors at NuArt,will exposure 3 hectare squares land surrounded by a lot off awesome sculptures..

There are two sculptur with  “Waiting” theme, with different philosophical mean.

The first one :

waiting 1
Sculpture first “Waiting”  portrayed  a human that waiting for something , such like a passenger waiting the delayed plane at airport. Describe passengers activities, with each worriness.

Waiting 2
Patung Waiting yang kedua ini, about a prostitute woman waiting for her customer. It has deep meaning, when the sculpture lied near a relief wall configuring a sadness face behind the sculpture.

 

Man and Cosmos

Cosmo Circle
Sounds like “karma”.

NightmareNightmare

Nightmare sculpture. The question is: the nightmare about what, real or symbolic?

 

DRUPADI (Draupadi)

Draupadi (Sanskrit: द्रौपदी, Sanskrit pronunciation: [d̪rəʊpəd̪i]) is one of the most important female characters in the Hindu-Javanese epic, Mahabharata. She is the daughter of Drupada, King of Panchala and also became the common wife of the five Pandawa (Pandavas). Draupadi had five sons; one by each of the Pandavas: Prativindhya from Yudhishthira, Sutasoma from Bheema, Srutakarma from Arjuna, Satanika from Nakula, and Srutasena from Sahadeva. Many cities in Java Island has a street named “Drupadi”

Draupadi is considered as one of the Panch-Kanyas or Five Virgins

Fire Horse

Fire Horse

TRAP

trap

even there an illussion stairway, with awesome sculptures.

Garuda Wishnu Kencana

Garuda Tangan

Garuda Wishnu Kencana

Garuda Wisnu Kencana  being instalated at Badung,Bali. It constructed by many steps. This sculpture elevation reached more than 700 metres high. The location of this sculpture is at Badung,Bali.

Misery

Source : cp-foundation.org

Patung ini menceritakan tentang bencana kelaparan. Saat orang-orang yang dilanda bencana itu tampak sangat mengkhawatirkan, dengan tubuh yang tak lagi dilindungi oleh daging, yang tersisa hanya tulang yang terbungkus kulit.

Right and Alert

Source : cp-foundation.org

This sculpture portayed humanity with two sides: good and bad.

nyoman-nuarta-kps

  Arjuna Carriot at Monas Land,Jakarta

Patung Tangan

Rush Hour

1992, Brass and Copper

What you need to know about the artist:

There is very little out there about the artist’s personal life. Even on his own website, he only publishes his CV, listing only his professional accomplishments.

He is Indonesian. We know that in the last 50 years or so, Indonesia has undergone massive change both politically, from being a Dutch colony to gaining it’s own independence, and then a change in government as recently as 1998.

We also know that Western influences, while adapted in their own way, are never copied outright and are typically met with resistance in Indonesia.

We can blatantly see the influence of Futurism on Nuarta’s work

WHAT IS FUTURISM?

  • An Italian art movement that began in 1909, it celebrated modern technology, speed, city life, and tried to break away from traditional Western Art.

In Nuarta’s sculpture, we can see that the bikers are moving at full speed (by the angle of their bodies and the impact of the wind), but they are not ACTUALLY moving.

This is one of the biggest criticisms of Futurism is that ultimately it was not possible to show actual movement, so while trying to be active it is still a bit static, due to the limitations of the media of painting and sculpture.

Nuarta’s work is created using a variety of techniques such as modeling, carving, casting and construction. This allows for quite a bit of freedom in creating the work, as it allows for change to occur throughout the process.

Obelisk di Roma

OBELISKS OF ROME

Love at First Sight

In 241 BC the Romans conquered Sicily in the course of their first war against Carthage. The possession of this island at the center of the Mediterranean Sea led to the first contacts with the Egyptian Empire, which was ruled by a Greek dynasty, the Lagides, after Lago a general of Alexander the Great. The Lagides are more often referred to as the Ptolemies, Ptolemy being the recurring name of their Pharaohs. The rise of Rome in the Mediterranean did not lead to confrontation with Egypt, although the internal quarrels among the members of the Egyptian dynasty gave Rome some say in the internal matters of Egypt.
In 49 BC Pompey, after his defeat at Pharsalus, sought refuge in Alexandria, then the capital of Egypt, but the Pharaoh Ptolemy XIII assassinated him to ingratiate himself with Caesar.

Caesar however was not pleased with the killing of his rival and took the side of Cleopatra, both sister and wife of Ptolemy in a dynastic quarrel between the two. A Roman army defeated Ptolemy in 47 BC and Cleopatra ascended the throne of Egypt. The Roman general fell in love at first sight with the Egyptian Queen and in a way it was the same for the two countries.
With the exception of Greece no other country had greater influence over the Romans and the Egyptian gods became key members of the Roman pantheon. The official iconography of the Roman Emperor, strictly defined by Augustus admitted only one exception so that the Emperor could be portrayed as an Egyptian Pharaoh to underline the continuity between the pharaohs and the emperors. In this context Augustus after having defeated Antony and Cleopatra and conquered Egypt in 30 BC brought from Heliopolis to Rome the obelisks dedicated to the Pharaohs Rameses II and Psammetichus II. Other obelisks came from Egypt or were made in Rome in the next three centuries; thirteen of them can still be seen in the streets of Rome.

Where they are

 

All the obelisks are no longer in the site where they were erected by the Roman Emperors. In the XVIth century most of them were broken into pieces and they were just another component of the picturesque view of the Roman ruins. They were saved by Pope Sixtus V (1585-90) who used them as focal points for some of the new streets he opened as part of his plan of urban development. Several obelisks were repaired, turned from pagan to Christian monuments by the addition of new inscriptions, topped with a cross and with the heraldic symbols of the pope and eventually moved to the center of a piazza or in front of a basilica.

Obelisk of Rameses II in Piazza del Popolo (No. 1 in the map)

The Obelisk


The obelisk was initially erected by the Pharaoh Rameses II in Heliopolis. In 30 BC Augustus brought it to Rome where it was put at the center of Circus Maximus and dedicated to the Sun (in line with its original dedication). It fell during the wars between the Byzantines and the Goths for the control of Rome in the VIth century A. D. and it was covered by debris. In 1587 the area was excavated and the obelisk was repaired (it was slightly shortened) and moved in 1589 to Piazza del Popolo at a point where three streets (Via di Ripetta, Via del Corso and Via del Babbuino) converge to form il Tridente di Roma. It is topped by the mountains and the star of Sixtus V.

Obelisk of Psammetichus II in Piazza di Montecitorio (No. 3 in the map)

The Obelisk

The obelisk was originally erected by Psammetichus II in the 7th century BC and then brought to Rome by Augustus who placed it as a sundial in a vast square (Horologium Divi Augusti) where its shadow indicated the hours of the day and the days of the year. The obelisk was found split in five pieces in 1748 and it was eventually repaired and erected in front of Palazzo di Montecitorio. The reliefs are partially lost. Pope Pius VIput on top of the obelisk a symbol of his coat of arms; at noon a sunbeam goes through an opening in the globe: it ends on a series of marks on the floor showing various dates.

Obelisk of Thothmes IV in Piazza S. Giovanni in Laterano (No.11 in the map)

The Obelisk

This is the tallest obelisk of Rome and also the last to be brought from Egypt. Both Augustus and Constantineconsidered bringing it to Rome from Thebes, where it had been erected by the Pharaoh Thothmes IV. In AD 357 Emperor Constantius II was able to arrange its transportation by using a specially built ship. It was located in the Circus Maximus, where it was found broken into three pieces in 1587. It was moved to Piazza S. Giovanni in Laterano in 1588 by Sixtus V who wanted its top to be decorated with the whole array of his heraldic symbols: not only the three mountains with the star, but also the lion holding the pears. It is one of the best preserved obelisks, with very fine hieroglyphs.

Obelisk of Augustus in Piazza S. Pietro (No. 2 in the map)

The Obelisk

The obelisk was erected in Alexandria by the Romans in the Ist century BC and it was dedicated to Augustus. It does not have any inscription in hieroglyphs. It was moved to Rome by Caligula who placed it in the Circus he had built in the Vatican (the Circus was later on named after Nero). The obelisk never fell and this fact in the Middle Ages was attributed to the reputation of Nero as a sorcerer. It was topped by a bronze globe which was thought to contain the ashes of Caesar, Augustus and Tiberius. In 1586 Sixtus V ordered Domenico Fontana to relocate it in front of St. Peter’s. So the Obelisk was the first element of the Piazza. The top of the obelisk is decorated with the mountains and the star of Sixtus V.

Obelisks of Augustus in in Piazza dell’Esquilino (No. 7 in the map) and in Piazza del Quirinale (No. 4 in the map)

S. Maria MaggioreThe Obelisk - Quirinale

The obelisks were erected in Rome at the entrance of the Mausoleo di Augusto (they do not have hieroglyphs). Augustus had visited in Alexandria the tomb of Alexander the Great and he decided to build his family tomb taking into account some aspects of the tomb of Alexander. Both obelisks fell into pieces and as the area was often flooded they disappeared into the ground. In 1519 the opening of Via di Ripetta led to the discovery of one of them. It was broken into four pieces which were assembled near the church of S. Rocco. Sixtus V (1585-90) had the obelisk repaired and placed (1587) at the end of Strada Felice a new street he had opened to reach S. Maria Maggiore. The top of the obelisk is decorated with the mountains and the star of Sixtus V. In 1781 the second obelisk was discovered; it was broken into three pieces and it was repaired and placed (1786) by Pius VI in Piazza del Quirinale between two existing colossal statues.

Obelisk of Domitian in Piazza Navona (No.10 in the map)

The Fountain

The obelisk was erected by Domitian after the fire which had destroyed a large part of Rome in 80 AD and most likely it decorated the Isaeum/Serapeum Campense a large complex of Temples dedicated to the Egyptian gods Isis (hence Isaeum) and Serapis (hence Serapeum) in Campus Martius. Its hieroglyphs are related to the cult of these gods. In AD 309 Maxentius moved the obelisk to the circus built in honour of his son Romulus near Via Appia. The obelisk fell in the VIth century and it broke into five pieces. In 1648 the obelisk was repaired and in 1649 it was erected on top of the fountain designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini to celebrate the glory of Pope Innocentius X (1644-55). Bernini had not been invited to submit a project for the fountain, as the Pope reproached him for his too close connection with his predecessor Pope Urbanus VIIIand for the technical failure of his attempt to erect St Peter’s bell towers. Bernini found a way to have a model of the fountain seen by the Pope and he immediately got the commission. The top of the obelisk is decorated with the dove of Innocentius X.

Obelisks from Isaeum Campense in Piazza della Rotonda (No. 5 in the map), in Piazza di S. Maria sopra Minerva (No. 6 in the map) and in Piazza di Termini (No. 13 in the map)

The ObeliskThe ElephantThe Obelisk

The Isaeum/Serapeum Campense covered a large area between the Pantheon and Via Flaminia (today Via del Corso) and it was embellished with several small size obelisks all coming from Egypt.
The obelisk in Piazza della Rotonda was originally erected in Heliopolis by Rameses II. It was located near S. Macuto and referred to as Guglia di S. Macuto in several descriptions of Rome. In 1711 Pope Clemens XI(1700-21) moved it to the center of the already existing fountain in front of la Rotonda, the Pantheon. The top of the obelisk is decorated with the mountains and the star of Clemens XI.
The obelisk in Piazza di S. Maria sopra Minerva was found in 1665 in the cloister of the church. It was originally erected in Sais, a town in Lower Egypt, by the Pharaoh Apries. In 1667 Gian Lorenzo Bernini erected the small obelisk on top of an elephant (a work by Ercole Ferrata). Here you see it from the back; for a frontal view see my page on Alexander VII (1655-67) the pope whose heraldic symbols and coats of arms decorate several parts of the monument.
The obelisk in Piazza di Termini was found in 1882 near S. Ignazio. It was originally erected in Heliopolis by Rameses II. In 1887 it became a little monument to the 500 Italians who had fallen at Dogali in Ethiopia and it was placed in front of the Termini Railway Station. It is now in the gardens between the Railway Station and Piazza della Repubblica. The star on the top of the obelisk is a symbol of Italy.
Other obelisks of Isaeum/Serapeum Campense are in the Boboli Gardens in Florence and in Urbino.

Obelisks in Piazza della Trinità dei Monti (No. 8 in the map), in Piazzale del Pincio (No. 9 in the map) and in Villa Celimontana (No. 12 in the map)

SS. Trinità dei MontiIl PincioVilla Celimontana

The obelisk opposite SS. Trinità dei Monti was initially erected in a private residence called Horti Sallustianiafter the name of its first owner, the Latin historian Sallustius, a very wealthy man. The Horti Sallustianicovered a large area near Porta Pinciana and Porta Salara, which later on became part of Villa Ludovisi. It is a small scale copy of the obelisk of Rameses II, now in Piazza del Popolo and it was made in Rome. It was moved by Pius VI in 1789 to its current location. The top of the obelisk shows a lily and a star which areheraldic symbols of Pius VI.
The obelisk in Piazzale del Pincio was initially erected by Hadrian (AD 117-38) in memory of his favourite Antinous as part of a monument to him located outside Porta Maggiore. The obelisk was found in the XVIth century and relocated in 1633 by Urbanus VIII in his palace. In 1822 Pope Pius VII moved the obelisk to Piazzale del Pincio.
The small obelisk in Villa Celimontana was presented in 1582 by the Senate of Rome to Ciriaco Mattei, who placed it in his Villa on the Celio. At that time the obelisk was at the foot of the steps leading to S. Maria in Aracoeli, but most likely it had been moved there from Isaeum Campense. The image used as a background for this page shows the tip of the obelisk.

See the obelisk of Thutmosi III in Constantinople.
See another obelisk of Thutmosi III once in Heliopolis, then in Alexandria and today in London.

 

Indonesian Acronyms and Abbreviation

A

ABRI (Angkatan Bersenjata Republik Indonesia) – Military of Indonesian Republic (use in New Order Era,recently became T.N.I) has 3 divisions : Navy, Air Force and Army

ALUTSISTA  (Alat Utama Sistem Pertahanan Negara)  – The main equipment of national defense systems

AMD (ABRI Masuk Desa) – A social responsibility program by Indonesian army (ABRI), such as providing free medical service, repairing/building roads and public utilities.

AMS (Dutch: Algeme(e)ne Middelbare School) – High School or College (Dutch colonial era)

antv (Andalas Televisi) – Andalas Television (Private Television Station)

APBN (Anggaran Pendapatan dan Belanja Negara). The national budget.

APRA (Angkatan Perang Ratu Adil) – a rebel group against Republic of Indonesia (1950), led by former Dutch army officer, Captain Westerling.

AS (Amerika Serikat) – USA, the United States of America

ATBM (Alat Tenun Bukan Mesin) – Unmachinery Weaving Tool

ATK (Alat Tulis dan Kantor) – Office and Stationery Tool

B

Babinsa (Badan Pembina Desa) – rural concellor

Bakin (Badan Koordinasi Intelijen) – Indonesian Intelligence Coordination body, renamed BIN (Indonesian State Intelligence Agency – Badan Intelijen Negara).

Bakom PKB (Badan Komunikasi Penghayatan Kesatuan Bangsa) – an ethnic Chinese organization, led by Major Sindhunata.

Bakosurtanal (Badan Koordinasi Survei dan Pemetaan Nasional) – National Coordinating Agency for Surveying and Mapping

Balita (Bawah Lima Tahun) – children under five years old.

Bamag (Badan Musyawarah Antar Gereja) – Churches  Discussion Chamber

Bappenas (Badan Perencanaan dan Pembangunan Nasional) Indonesian National Development Agency.

Baperki (Badan Permusjawaratan Kewarganegaraan Indonesia) – an ethnic Chinese organization affiliated with the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI).

Basarnas (Badan SAR Nasional) – National search and rescue organization.

BBM (Bahan Bakar Minyak) – Fuel (gazoline, petroleum ,etc)

BKKBN (Badan Koordinasi Keluarga Berencana Nasional) – a coordinating body of family planning (Indonesian birth control) movement.

BKN (Badan Kepegawaian Negara) – Agency for government employees

BNN (Badan Narkotika Nasional) – Agency for monitoring narcotics

BPPT (Badan Pengkajian dan Penerapan Teknologi) – Agency for The Assestment and Application of Technology.

BPS (Biro Pusat Statistik) – Statistic Center Bureau

BRI (Bank Rakyat Indonesia) – People’s Bank of Indonesia, a state owned bank.

BTN (Bank Tabungan Negara ) – Bank of National Saving. This bank has support housing credits.

BULOG (Badan Urusan Logistik) – logistics bureu

C

Cagub (Calon Gubenur) – Gubernatorial Candidate

Capres (Calon Presiden) – Presidential Candidate

Cawagub (Calon Wakil Gubenur) – Lieutenant Gubernatorial Candidate

Cawakot (Calon Wali Kota) – Mayoral Candidate

Cawapres (Calon Wakil Presiden) – Vice Presidential Candidate

Cerpen (Cerita Pendek) – Short story

D

Depdagri (Departemen Dalam Negeri) – Department of Internal Affairs

Depdikbud (Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan) – Department of Education and Culture (Suharto era).

Depdiknas (Departemen Pendidikan Nasional Republik Indonesia) – Department of Education.

Dephan (Departemen Pertahanan) – Department of Defense.

Deplu (Departemen Luar Negeri) – Department of Foreign Affairs.

Depsos (Departemen Sosial) – Department of Social Affairs.

DI (Daerah Istimewa) – special region.

DIPIAD (Dinas Pusat Intelijen Angkatan Darat) Army Central Intelligence Service.

DI/TII/NII (Darul Islam/Tentara Islam Indonesia/Negara Islam Indonesia) – an extreme Muslim rebel group against Republic of Indonesia in West Java (1945–1963), led by Kartosoewiryo. Their main goal was establishing a Moslem country in Indonesia.

DKI (Daerah Khusus Ibukota) – Special Capital Region (Jakarta).

 

 

G

Gaptek (gagap teknologi) – not familiar with technologies

K

KPK (Komisi Pemberantasan Korupsi) – Corruption Eradication Commision